Before the Akmar Tribute show, I took some time to finish this commissioned halter. It’s an authentic native style halter, replicated from a picture of a real halter. It features brushed tassels with a silk look, handmade cowrie decorations, a silver chain with coins, and a detachable throatlatch.
After doing research for my last reference post, I was inspired by the many beautiful and elegant macrame show halters. So I wanted to try making one in mini scale.
This first one has a twisting knot on the cheek pieces, and two little tassels.
Yesterday was spent making cowrie shells and tassels for several projects. I am currently working on a halter commission that will be a replica of this real halter.
The cowries and gold plates are finished, now I just need to make the base of the halter.
And I am also working on a red costume for myself. This one has the new style of tassels, which look super silky! Now I’m debating wether to change all the tassels on the blue costume to this new style… It will be lots of extra work, but I get the feeling that it will be worth it. Anyway, both costumes have a long way to go before being finished.
Yesterday I finished this blue halter and leadrope. The leadrope has a tassel in the “new style”. It gives the halter a nice silky polished look.
I used dark blue embroidery thread for this halter, and added a splash of colour with an orange stripe running over it. The cowries and little medallions are handmade.
A few days ago I started some new halters with new designs. The yellow one is a simplified version of a native halter. This type of halter can be used in the showring since it’s a nice dash of colour, but it’s not overwhelmingly decorated. This one was fun to make too! I want to make another one in blue to keep for myself.
The blue halter was an experiment. It’s basically a simple beaded halter that adjusts with sliding beads. I’m still finding the best way to weave the beads into the halter but it looks nice enough for now.
Today I made the cowries for the two native halters I was working on. They turned out great, and both will be put up for sale on MH$P.
The black halter:
And the red halter:
Neither of the halters is adjustable in length, but surprisingly they both fit on the PSA and Breyer PAM. Apparently their heads a pretty similar in size. Seeing the red halter on my PS Arab kind of makes me want to keep it…
I will place links to their MH$P ads soon 🙂
Yesterday I started two native halters, one in red and one in black.
I worked until late that night finishing up the tassels on the red one as well (it has tassels with microbeads so that took me a while).
The red halter now has a set of 2 throatlatches too – one with tassels and a plain one. You can change the throatlatch depending on how fancy you want to make the halter.
I’m hoping that today my new set of Sculpey clays arrives so I can start making cowries and other decorations. With that set also come silver and gold clay, so I’m excited to try those out!